Posted in Completed Projects, Pattern Drafting, Sewing Projects

Princess Cut Dress

After yesterday’s dreary comeback post, it’s time for something more upbeat with a report on a COMPLETED project.

Here is the illustration:

jubah copy

Another long dress, but this time with a princess-cut bodice. The pattern drafting is just a simple conversion from standard bodice darts to princess seams. The skirt was extended for length and flare. Bodice and skirt pattern was split at the waist and used to cut the respective fabrics.

20160630_171300
Dress back pattern
20160630_171313
Dress front pattern.

Here are the bodice pattern pieces:

20141029_122438-2

The bodice and the skirt are made from different fabrics. The bodice is a printed polyester with a nice, soft hand while the skirt fabric is rayon. Both have a similar drape, but the rayon is a little heavier.

Here is the Princess Cut Dress, complete! I wore it to a friend’s wedding lunch. The grey rayon drapes beautifully, but wrinkles easily :(. I didn’t do anything special with the sleeves, just finished them with elastic cuffs for simplicity.

20150531_134705~2

This was the last dress that I made in a while using western-style pattern drafting. The next projects posts will be mostly traditional Malay dresses. Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s